Life in the Wight House

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Mini Photo Shoot

Jared bought me a fancy digital camera last year. I have been wanting to learn how to use the camera better and this is the year I have told myself I am going to do it.

Zachery turned 9 months on the 4th and I was going to take him to Penny's and get his photos done but a Photographer in my ward gave me a little talking to: "Girl, if you got a nice EOS Camera don't be taken your baby to no JC Penny's! You need to be using that thing and taking your own photos." So I decided she is right, and I have always wanted to learn Photography. So I decided to give the 9 month photos a try.
My biggest problem has always been lighting. So I decided to play around with the morning light and see how well I did with it. These photos were taken just with the intention of learning lighting better. I set up a quick backdrop before school and RJ was my first subject. Savannah really wanted to be my model. She was having a hard morning, hence the sad face. It is slightly out of focus , but I think it still looks super cute.
My 9 month old wouldn't even sit still. There were too many toys in the bedroom where my backdrop was set up and the little guy was just too distracted. We took RJ off to school and then tired again. I moved the backdrop downstairs. I had a small amount of time before the sun hid behind a nearby tree. Once again, Savannah wanted to model (excuse the hair, we didn't get to brushing it before hand.)


Ok, my lighting looks good! Let's focus on the little rascal.

Mister Zachery had absolutely no desire to cooperate. I couldn't get him to sit still or even look my way. Savannah tired her best to get him to look my way, but a 3 year old can only do so much.


Giving up on Zachery for a short time.


It was a nice morning. The temp was getting close to 50. I thought we could manage, and try the lighting outside against the brick house.



And he looked my way!
With a look that says "Here, are you happy? I looked! Noe leave me alone."



We moved to the front of the house. The side was casting a lot if shadows. And too my surprise the front was perfect. Unfortunately my battery died after snapping this shot. I'll try again when it isn't so close to nap time. Maybe I can get him to look my way.
But this is still pretty cute and just might have to be my 9 month shot.
Please, tell my what you think! Lighting wise, does it look good? Any photography suggestions?

5 comments:

Russ, Emily, Parker and Hannah said...

Nice job on the pics! That should be a fun hobby to learn.

Christine Dallimore said...

Jen- You did such a great job!!! You got catchlights in all of the close-ups! My favorites are 1,4,5,6,8 and 10!!!!

Heather said...

Nice pictures! The only thing I think is that I wish you could reflect a little bit of light onto the faces with a reflector or something. Silly little Zach.

Have you even looked at the blog iheartface.blogspot.com? It is for people interested in photography and you might be able to find some helpful tips there. Good LUCK!

Josh Wight said...

those pics of savannnah next to the window are adoreable

Sammie said...

I agree with Josh, Savannah's pics are adorable and the one of Zach smirking, precious! RJ's are cute too. Good job!