While we were in Belgium, Jared took an unexpected interview just for the heck of it. The job was for pretty much the same thing he was doing here in Idaho. He has all the qualifications for it except he doesn't speak Dutch. After the interview he talked to the manger who wanted to know how interested he was in moving to Belgium. He told them he would be interested and that he really liked it over there and would love to get his Master in their Nuclear Engineering program. So the manger told Jared to apply for all three job postings and if he didn't get the job (since the manger wasn't the one to make the call) then he, the manger, would hire him as a subcontractor. So either way, Jared has a job in Belgium.
So time to decide if we wanted to pursue this opportunity or not. Yes it would be a great business opportunity to work with a foreign reactor and yes Jared would easily be able to get his Masters in the program he is interested in. And yes what a great experience to enjoy Europe for awhile. But we have kids and one on the way. We can't speak Dutch. Everything is going to be different and so far from family and friends. And it is so liberal. We have been living in a bubble of conservatives for so long here in Idaho.
We prayed about it for while and went to the Temple and we both felt very good with the decision to pursue the opportunity and make the move to Belgium when it arrives. We have decided that we are going to sell everything we own in hopes to get a lot of our debt paid off. And make a fresh start in Belgium. We have looked at a few apartments online that looked affordable and nice. Jared plans to go for a month before we all go to set things up and get settled. That way he can figure out the Euro better and what we will be able to afford and where better to live. I and the kids are hoping to stay in California during this time to spend some more time with family before we make big move.
The job posting doesn't close until tomorrow so we won't get any official information until after the interview process is complete. We are thinking about mid-October. And if things go the way we plan, we will leave Idaho just before Thanksgiving. Enjoy Thanksgiving in CA and then Jared will be off to Belgium for the month of December and I and the kids will follow after Christmas. That is if we can handle Christmas without Daddy.
Until then we are getting the house ready to sell and creating all kinds of posting on Craig's list to sell some of the things we have. Last Friday was Jared's day off. He spent the weekend polishing up the floor and putting new baseboard in. It looks great. I am loving my front room. We decluttered the room leaving only the couch and a decorative table. Everything is seating in boxes in the garage while the bookshelves are waiting to sell. Why does your house always look its best just before you sell it? We are planning on tackling one room at a time and hopefully get the house listed soon before winter hits here in Idaho. We have had very nice weather but I know it can't last for much longer.
Look how pretty it looks. We had pulled up the carpet last May and have just now done something about it.
And the basboard looks great. We had to get the large stuff becasue that is what they had orginally and we needed to meet the paint. I didn't want to repaint.