Life in the Wight House

Monday, September 15, 2008

Day 5- Brugge & The English Channel (my favorite day)

Tuesday, September 2nd

The breakfast at the Bed & Breakfast was good. They eat meat and chesses with their pastries here in Belgium. It looked good and Jared loved it. It was like a sandwich which my soft stomach couldn’t handle much of for breakfast. I stuck with a croissant and a bowl of cold cereal. But the croissant was delicious.

We had rain showers off and on for most of the day. But it didn’t stop us from exploring some of Belgium. We spent the day walking around Brugge. It was a beautiful old city. We first toured a chocolate museum, which was very interesting.


A large chocolate egg and these hat down below are all made out of chocolate too.



Look at all that yummy chocolate!

After the museum we looked for lunch. I was on the verge of getting sick again which meant I needed to eat something fast. We stopped at the first little deli we saw. And I had the best ham sandwich I have had in a long time. The cheese in this sandwich was amazingly good and the bread was to die for. I am still craving another sandwich from that little deli. We then sat down in a nice restaurant for a cup of hot chocolate that I had been craving since we were in the chocolate museum. It was very rich and creamy but not at all too sweet. After our bellies were warm we walked to the top of the bell tower for an amazing view of the city. The stairs widening up to the top of the tower were very narrow and there is only a rope in the middle to hold onto. Jared had done this once before and he said he had gone on a busy Saturday and it was very crowded as he tired to get up and down the stairs. I was glad it wasn’t a crowded day when we went. I couldn’t even imagine. The bell tower we climbed up.The view 0f Brugge from the top of the towerAfterwards we took a river boat ride around the town seeing some amazing old building. One of which dated back to the 8th century! I’m not sure if we got a picture of it. Our guide was really good and explained stuff in three different languages on after the other. We learned some interesting things. Like the tax on windows back in the day. The richer you were the more windows you had. If you didn’t have the money you had to remove a window and we saw many houses whose windows were bricked in.



Look how low some of the bridges were.
The greenery in Belgium is so pretty.


Can you see the dog sitting in the window. Our guide says he is always there watching the river boats pass.

I love this picture.

After the river tour we did some shopping. We got a lot of chocolates. Brugge is the well known chocolate area. Then it was time for dinner. I tired some rabbit. I don’t know if I can look at a rabbit the same anymore after eating one. The city started dying down at the time, very unlike Paris where it just started picking up. But we still went in search of a church that had a famous statue from Michelangelo. Unfortunately the church was closed, like everything else, when we made it there.

It started pouring down rain and we got drenched trying to find the parking garage. Luckily Jared had some sense of direction because I was totally turned around and probably would have never found the parking garage.

The night was still young and we were only a half hour from the English Channel so we made the way up that direction. It had stopped raining when we made it to the water. It was a very clean beach and the water was very warm. I didn’t go swimming or anything but I went out on a rock to touch the water. Jared didn’t warn me as I bent down that a wave was heading my direction and the bottom half of me got drenched. So we decided to end the day. I really didn’t want to walk around in soggy shoes.







5 comments:

Heather said...

wow! Chocolate hats!?! Who knew such a thing existed. Thanks for the pictures.

I don't know how you handled the chocolate museum though, earlier in my pregnancy I couldn't stand the smell or taste of chocolate because it made me sick. But everyone is different and every pregnancy is different, so I am glad that didn't make you sick.

You two are cute.

Lisa said...

Wow! Everything is so beautiful. I love the climbing vines going up the sides of the buildings. I wonder if any of those buildings would pass "code" here in the U.S. But then again, they just don't make buildings the same anymore. . .
Beautiful.

Janan said...

LOVE EUROPE!! You pictures made me catch the RETURN to visit BUG!! Hopefully some day!!

Anonymous said...

These were my favorite pics too! I guess Brugge is definitely a place I should try to visit if I have a chance. Maybe if you end up moving to Belgium I can come stay with you! I don't think I knew before that you were pregnant again, but congratulations!

christa said...

YUMM, I am SO craving some chocolate right now...those hats were so cool..style and edible, nice combo!