Life in the Wight House

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Our New Toy



While my parents were out visiting over New Years, my dad had his iPad with him. Jared fell in love with it. He couldn't take his eyes or hands off it and expressed over and over again how absolutely gorgeous it was. I was seriously starting to feel a little jealous. I hadn't been told I was gorgeous in a while and I had never had that statement expressed to me over and over again in a short span of time.
Well, my father decided to be extremely generous towards his only son-in-law and the morning before they flew home he took Jared to Best Buys and bought him his very own iPad. Which was probably good considering Jared probably would have gone through some withdrawals once the iPad was gone. Well, Jared's new iPad became the new obsession in our home. RJ and Savannah were just as bad. RJ was getting pretty addicted to the thing I was worried we were going to have to find some kind of 4 step program for him. Whenever the iPad was turned on RJ was right there. He literally would stopped whatever he was doing and was right by the side of whoever was using the thing. Seriously, it was bad. Once RJ and Savannah were chasing each other around the circle between the living room and kitchen. I sat down to look up a recipe on the iPad and the instant I pressed on, RJ stopped in mid run and darted to my side in a flash. It was like he was a magnet for the thing.
I was beginning to get very flustered over the iPad. It was distracting from family life and making RJ less prepared for school. He would get up at 4 am to play on the thing. And Jared was talking about getting iPad 2!! *Sigh* What's a mother to do. Luckily, 3 months later the excitement has died down. We still enjoy the iPad but no one is glued to the thing. My love hate relationship is starting to dying down and I'm enjoying it more. We have definitely learned the value of balance and moderation.

1 comment:

christa said...

yikes! that doesn't make me want one! ;) i've heard they are pretty addicting, i'm glad it's died down for you guys. really cute picture, something about kids in technology is so cute and so scary at the same time, right? everytime eva's on the computer it boggles my mind, and when elle can get on and find her games too!! they just seem so little to know how to do these things, but i guess it's the day in which we live! :)