Life in the Wight House

Sunday, August 29, 2010

We Have a First Grader!



RJ has been so excited to start first grade since the day kindergarten ended. He couldn't wait for summer to be over, that is how much he loves school. The first day of school finally came and he woke up with a high fever. Poor kid, he was so upset that he was missing the very first day of first grade. He slept pretty much all day and had no appetite. Day two came and he swore he was better, so I let him go. His first day was tough. His body still wasn't 100%. Because he had slept all day the day before, he woke up Tuesday morning at 4am and school doesn't get out till 4pm. It was a long first day for him. He was confused and a little disoriented. He came home crying because he didn't understand a lot of what the teacher was talking about but he was too shy to ask questions. Mostly, I think he was just exhausted. Both him and Savannah were in bed asleep by 7 that night. The next day of school was much better and he is loving first grade. I wasn't excited by the teacher he got (she was my least favorite at of the three) but two of his best friends are in his class and he seems to be getting along just fine with his teacher. Only time can tell how things will go. I am excited for his new adventure in school. I look forward to hearing about his day each time I pick him up. I can't believe how big he is getting!

3 comments:

Geniel Bartley said...

Worry! If he likes the teacher he will more likely do well in the class. I remember not being so thrilled with one of our brother's teacher's and it all worked out great for him and me.

Amy said...

Rylie just started 1st grade too and she is loving it!!

Aleena said...

Poor kid. Is he trying to make a tradition of bad first days of school? Last year it was the crazy bus fiasco where he got lost and this year he was delirious with fever! Well I'm glad he is enjoying first grade. Isn't it a whole new worry with school-aged children? Worrying about which teacher they will get etc? Hopefully all goes well this year for you!