Life in the Wight House

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Bugs!!


Ok, can anyone define this bug for me??? We have them all over the place and they are driving me crazy. I remember having them in St. Anthony but it seems like we have like ten times as many here. I keep killing them and more and more are found. They don't seem to do much except gross me out. They can fly but they mostly crawl. I have been awaken in the middle of the night by one crawling on my arm, flying by my ear, and once even crawling on my face. That was a horrible night, I couldn't go back to sleep for hours. They are driving me crazy! And I don't know what they are. Someone told me they were stink bugs, but if so why are they called that. I haven't smelled any kind of stink. They are bugging me out!

4 comments:

Katie said...

Hey Jen!
These are box elder bugs. We used to have them all over our house in IL (also Russian Ladybugs that STUNK!) Here is a link: http://www.ivyhall.district96.k12.il.us/4th/KKHP/1insects/boxelder.html
Good luck!

Aleena said...

Yes these are Box Elder Bugs and they are here in Utah too but usually just in the summer and fall. And I agree, they are annoying!

Lisa said...

I am SO with you! I also hate these bugs. I never saw them growing up in Cali. And VERY annoying. They're harmless, right?

jennie said...

My grandpa had a sure fire way to get rid of them. It's very hard to do though. First, you have to find the nest (which is a pain since they like to live under siding and inside things) and then you soak it with soapy water, then spray raid on them after the water soaks in, but before it's dry. I've never tried it, but he swears by it. Good luck! They do go away after a while, but then come back in the fall. YUCK!