Life in the Wight House

Friday, July 17, 2009

Shots and Fillings

I am not looking forward to the end of summer, I feel like it has just started and am in no hurry for the cold Idaho winter weather. However, RJ can't wait till the end of the season. He is so anxious to start kindergarten.
Last week RJ had his kindergarten shots. He was so brave. I'm not sure what is worse, watching your two month old get shots or your five year old. They laid RJ on the table and one nurse held down his legs as she poked him with the needles and another nurse held onto his arms and hands so he wouldn't get in the way of the shots. He winced through the first three but the fourth one was awful and he cried in pain. I cried with him.
Once we left the doctors he asked, "Is summer over now? Can I start kindergarten?"I know the excitement of starting school was what really helped him get through the shots, and I felt a little guilty telling him that he still had to wait two more months.

My brave little guy also had to endure his first filling. That's right, he got a cavity. I got a sitter for Savannah the day of the appointment and expected to be back there holding RJ's hand through the whole drilling experience. RJ surprised me once again and told me I could stay in the waiting room. I could hear him in the back talking with the dentist and assistants without a care in the world. He came back a half hour later with a smile on his face proclaiming that was easy. He didn't like the numbing effect that lasted two more hours but I definitely had the hardest time watching my baby all grown up not needing his mommy anymore.

1 comment:

Aleena said...

Shots are no fun! What a brave boy though. And brave mom!