Life in the Wight House

Friday, April 9, 2010

Hair Cuts

Yes! That is Savannah's locks on the floor. Somewhere near the beginning of March, under Daddy's supervision ;) Savannah got a hold of the scissors and decided to give herself a trim. Her hair was up in a bun and she cut some hair behind her left ear. Because it was up in a bun the locks didn't fall out and we didn't notice it until later that night. She also chopped parts of her bangs and a little off the top. Later that night as I un-did her bun, to my horror, chunks of hair fell out. (Look at her sad face as we discussed her actions, it was too cute)I approached Jared and he said "Oh, that's what she was doing!" Hmmmmm.....Anyway, the next morning I bathed her and combing through her hair I assessed the damage. Because the underside of her hair was cut, it really wasn't noticeable. The bangs and top weren't too bad. As I looked into it more I realized there was no way I could put her hair up, it looked awful, and with long curly hair it couldn't stay down all the time. She hadn't ever had a hair cut and her ends were getting very unhealthy, I decided, if her hair was to be kept down, it had to be cut.
We never cut her hair before because her long curls were just to gorgeous and we were afraid they might be baby curls and we weren't ready to say good bye to them. I had mentioned a trim a few time because the ends were getting unhealthy and her hair was always tangling. But Jared refused to allow me to cut it.
Anyway, on this particular morning, while I examined Savannah's hair cutting skills, Jared wasn't in sight to consult (true he was outside working in the yard, but I was to lazy to walk outside to seek his permission) So I took matters into my own hands and cut it.

Look how long her hair was. When wet and straight it reached down to the middle of her bottom.




After I cut it, I sent Savannah and RJ out to play. Now remember Jared had no idea what just happened. When Savannah came around the corner and Jared did a huge double take, he was in shock, and ask "What in the world happened to your hair??" and her response "Mommy cut it!" After which Jared tapped on the window to get my attention and said "Who said you can cut her hair? Your sleeping on the couch!" It was pretty comical. Needless to say, her curls are still in tact. I have to admit that I did a pretty good job for my first hair cutting. And Jared misses her long gorgeous locks but still thinks his little girl is still the cutest girl in town, and I have to agree.

Now Zachery's hair was getting pretty shaggy. I didn't want to cut it because I wasn't ready for my baby to grow up. There is just something about a first hair cut. Don't know what it is, I waited till after RJ's first birthday to give him his and I was contemplating doing the same for Zachery. But his hair was getting in his eyes and Jared was complaining that he looked like he was sporting a mule-it. After Savannah's cut I was feeling pretty good about my cutting skills and decided to go ahead and do Zachery's as well.
I love this photo. I grabbed the camera and told him to smile and he gave me this big goofy grin!


I gave him a sucker and tried trimming it with scissors (RJ was the camera man). However it was looking too choppy so I had to pull out the buzzer. It turned out shorter then I expected, but still cute. He looked so much bigger once I was done. It was sad and took some getting used to, but he was still cute.

So there you have it. Both Savannah (age 3 1/2) and Zachery (age 11 months) had their first haircuts in the same week.

2 comments:

christa said...

oh yes, it looks SO good now! and so healthy.

Mike and Nikki said...

I don't think Jared should have any opinion in whether or not Savannah should have gotten a hair cut considering he was the one looking after her when she cut her hair off with the scissors! You did a great job and I'm glad the curls stayed!