Life in the Wight House

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Trip to California

My Grandfather had a surgery operation done back in October. The surgery was to remove some cancer from is stomach area. He never fully recovered or returned home after that operation. He passed away, while in the San Francisco Hospital, on March 11 and thanks to tax returns and an unexpected bonus check, we were all able to fly to California to visit family and attend his funeral service.


Jared had enough frequent flier miles for one ticket and he also had a free companion ticket. So all the children pretty much flew free. But we were separated to get the best flights possible. Jared and RJ drove down to Raleigh, North Carolina Thursday night and caught an early morning flight to Atlanta. Savannah, Zachery, and myself flew out of Lynchburg, Friday morning and met up with the boys in Atlanta. We were lucky enough to be on the same flight from Atlanta to Sacramento. The flight was pleasingly uneventful. All three kids did very well. Savannah LOVED rolling her backpack around the airport and refused to have anyone carry it for her. It was very cute.


We arrived in Sacramento on Friday, March 19th (my birthday) and borrowed Jared's Father's car. We then drove down to Fairfield. We met my sister for a brief visit and she gave me this amazing birthday fruit tart. It was SO INCREDIBLY GOOD!! I can't even describe how delicious it was and I am craving another one.


We spent most of our time in California visiting with family. Jared and RJ were to stay until after the burial and then fly back home but after speaking with my Grandmother, plans changed. Jared and RJ extended their flights so they could stay for the memorial service as well, which was four days after the burial. My Grandmother asked Jared to speak at it in behalf of all the grand kids. Jared compiled a list memories from all seven grand kids and presented an excellent memory of my Grandfather.
While visiting, I was able to go through many of my Grandparents photographs and I even got to read through some of their old telegrams to each other while in the War. It was really fun.

Here are a few my Aunt scanned and sent me:

My Grandfather, James Bartley, as a boy around 3 years old with his older sister.

All family picture back in 1933

Grandfather with his P51 "Little Midget" He named his plane after a nickname he had for my Grandmother.

1943 waiting for check ride.
If you haven't guessed yet, my Grandfather was in the Air force during WWII. He was stationed in England near the end of the War. This was taken in 1945.

This is my Grandparents in 1943 during their engagement. Grandmother said she wasn't going to marry him until he got his wings. :)

Here is my Grandfather soon after the War with his first son, my father.

And this is how I know him. A very jolly, happy, loving Grandfather who I will miss greatly!

A favorite past time of my grandparents was golf. One day a photographer asked my grandparents to pose for some pictures for him. This was one of my favorites.

And this is the last photo I have of my Grandfather. It was taken in May of 2009. I saw him last in August of 2009 and I unfortunately have no pictures of that moment in time. In this photo he is holding his newest great grandson, Zachery James.

On Tuesday, March 23rd James G. Bartley's ashes were buried in the Sacramento National Cemetery. It was a beautiful private burial service.

On Sunday, March 28th a special memorial was held in his honor at the Good Sheppard Lutheran Church in Novato, California.

Jared showing RJ some of Grandfather's photos and War medals.

After the burial on Tuesday we had a family luncheon at my grandparents home. We were able to get a photo of Grandmother with all her grandchildren and great grandchildren.
(Jack, Matthew, Grandmother, Christopher, Margaret, Natalie, Johnathan, Savannah, RJ, Jennifer, and Zachery)

We also tried to get a family photo but it didn't come out. It is far to fuzzy to even fix my brother, Johnathan isn't even in it. Not sure where he was? I could have sworn he was there. But I wanted to post the photo anyway.

Here are some other photos while in CA.
The kids playing Rock Band with their Uncles



Bath time at Grandma's is always fun. She has such a fun big jetted tub.



RJ visited Matthew at school during Matthew's kindergarten buddy time.
We also watched one of Matthew's band performance. We sat right by the amps, RJ thought it was pretty cool.
Zachery eatting puffs under Grandmothers table. While in CA Zach had an awful ear infection with a 102 temperature that lasted 5 days. He wasn't a happy camper.

Jared met up with his mother and they took Savannah and RJ to this new water park that opened up in the area. They had a lot of fun.

So the kids have been learning the song "Follow the Prophet" in primary. The chorus says "Follow the Prophet, Follow the Prophet, Follow the Prophet, don't go astray." Well Savannah changed the words and sang "Grandma Bartley, Grandma Bartley. Grandma Bartley, don't go astray" way to go Savannah, keep that Grandma in line :)Here is Savannah's song:

4 comments:

mkamye said...

Jenn, those old photos of your grandparents are really neat. Thanks for sharing them! That water park looks fun too. Is it in FF?

Mike and Nikki said...

What wonderful photos you have of your grandfather! I am glad you were able to make it back to CA to spend time with your family. Your dad looks a lot like your grandfather in the family picture of you guys when you were young. Thanks for sharing!

jkmace said...

Loving your blog:) thanks for telling me, you can tell you have a little "experience" on your side. Can't wait to add you to my list!

Aleena said...

It sure was fun seeing you!