Life in the Wight House

Sunday, March 16, 2008

No More Binkies!

We finally did it! We were going to wait till after Belgium to try to get rid of the binkie. We figured we would need it on the 8 hour plane ride. But Belgium fell through so I thought I better talk myself into the torture of getting rid of the binkie.
When ever Savannah was upset she asked for her binkie. She called it "My-My" We kept them on top of the microwave and she figured out how to push the chair over to reach them herself. And again, if she was upset she went straight to the kitchen to get her "My-My" Nothing calmed her down except that plastic thing and she is a screamer!
For the past few month I have told her that it was yucky and she didn't need it. I said she should throw it away. She always responded with "Uh-Uh, Mommy" and ran the other way. But the other day she surprised me by throwing it away. I thought oh-no, here we go. She is going to be screaming for it next time she gets upset and I better start training myself not to give in. I better get it through my head that it is gone so I don't go running to the trash to clean it off for her when the tantrums start. But she surprised me. She has not asked for it since she threw it away. And she has let me hug her and calm her down when she gets upset rather then demanding the plastic. I am impressed and grateful. We have now been binkie free for three days!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow, Jen. That's awesome. I think that's a great way to get rid of it: let the child toss it herself. Very insightful. And, congratulations.

Jenn said...

It had to be her idea! She sounds like a willful one! =)