Life in the Wight House

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Day 2-Around town

Saturday Aug. 30th

We had a nice room service breakfast of fresh fruit, hard boiled egg (which seems like the only egg they cook here), and cereal. I mainly ate the large fruit plate that had the best strawberries I had in awhile. They were smaller then what you would find in a grocery store and tasted just like they had come from the garden. I just can’t get over what better quality their food is here in Europe. Our food gets injected with way too much crap. I am very tempted to start buying more organic foods, if I can afford it.

Our first stop was Printemps, which was the large and very high end shopping mall. It contained three buildings with a floor each devoted to one area. There was a men’s building with 6 floors of designer fashion. The Women’s building contained 8 floors of fashion. One of which was an entire floor all for shoes. This isn’t your normal payless shoe; this was all the hottest designers stuff. It was incredible. The middle building was devoted to house good items. I feel in love with the many china plate settings and crystal collections. There were also two floors for children clothes and we found some of the cutest outfits for the kids but way too over or budget to purchase. At the top of the building was a little cafĂ© and terrace that looked over the city. This was my first view of the Eiffel tower. It was a gorgeous view and my excitement peeked.

Christa we took these next two pictures for you, you would have died and gone to heaven!

After Prinptemps we went to a more affordable store were I bought a couple of tops and a skirt to wear that night for our anniversary dinner at the Eiffel tower. After the shopping we took a tour bus around town getting off at the Notre Dame. We didn’t have time to walk inside. I was in need of a nap. But we did enjoy walking around the grounds eating the best chocolate ice cream ever. Oh my goodness, it was soooo good!!!!

Pictures from the tour bus:

Napoleon's Triumphal arch
Supposedly this is the number one place in the world for car accidents. It was crazy to watch the cars drive around it cutting in front of each other as they got on and off the round about. There was no lane markings and people were driving so fast. We didn't see an accident but kept excepting one every 15 minutes, it was crazy!
The sculpture and architect work was incredible. Everywhere you looked there was something to see.
This was in old moat.
The famous Notre Dame, So beautiful!

We then headed back to the hotel and took a short nap before getting ready for the Eiffel tower. We had made reservations with a tour group to have dinner on the Eiffel tower followed by a river cruise and then a show at the Moulin Rouge.

The Eiffel tower was beautiful. We ate with our group on the first floor. We skipped out on the coffee and walked up to the second floor before having to return to meet our tour group for the cruise. It was a hike to make it to the second floor. My legs hurt and I was exhausted. I couldn’t imagine hiking to the top. I am so out of shape. Unfortunately, even if we had time to make it to the top, the stairs leading up were closed and the price to take the elevator was more then Jared wanted to pay for, so we never made it all the way up.

Altitude 95 was our restaurant one the first floor of the Eiffel Tower. Very yummy!

This is us on the second floor after climbing 340 steep steps.

The river cruise was next and amazing as well. We learned a little bit about the history of Paris while enjoying the beautiful scenery. It was just beautiful.

By the time we made it to the Moulin Rouge, I was exhausted and had a horrible head ache. I didn’t think I would be able to make it till 2 am when we were scheduled to return back to our hotel. I had trouble with the idea of viewing the show before coming to Paris and since I wasn’t feeling too great once it was show time we decided to skip it. But we did get a picture of the famous building all lit up.


We took the subway back to the hotel. The subway has been most interesting considering I have never seen or used one before. There was a vender open on our way back and we stopped and got some crepe's. Again, very very yummy!

2 comments:

jennie said...

I'm so glad you were able to go and have such a good time. Isn't it nice to just spend time alone together? And in Paris! What a beautiful city. So, did you get chocolate? :)

christa said...

SO, yummy! SO, Beautiful! Thanks for the pics of the shoes, I think my eyes watered. I am SO jealous but SO happy for you!! I can't believe you got to see all of these amazing things, that's so wonderful! I love humanities, it was my major at some point.
I'm so happy for you!! What an amazing experience!